What is The Advance?
The Advance is an accountable, designated giving arm of The United Methodist Church. The Advance invites contributors to designate support for projects related to the General Board of Global Ministries. Individuals, local churches, organizations, districts and conference may donate to The Advance. One hundred percent of every gift to The Advance goes to the project selected by the giver.
Fast Facts About The Advance
- Administrative costs are paid for by the apportionments of United Methodist churches. One great Hour of Sharing covers UMCOR’s administrative costs.
- All Advance projects are related to annual conferences, central conferences, partner churches or interfaith organizations. They are screened by the General Board of Global Ministries and authorized by The Advance Committee.
- The Advance tracks each gift and ensures that gifts reach their intended recipients.
- You may track gifts online at www.umcmission.org/gift-tracking.
- Support appeals for emergency relief responding to disasters through The Advance. These are designated “UMCOR Advance,” followed by the project number.
- Contact The Advance (email@example.com) office for information and promotional ideas or to share experiences.
Ways to Give Through The Advance
- Through the Offering Plate: Writing a check or giving cash designated for an Advance project remains a popular way to contribute. Make checks payable to your local church, but put the name and number The Advance project in the memo line. Local church treasurers forward Advance money to the annual conference, which passes it on to the General Council on Finance and Administration, the denominational finance office. This process guarantees that congregations receive credit for the gifts.
- Giving online: Using your credit card, make gifts through the Internet at www.umcmission.org/giv. You can note your local church for credit purposes.
- By Phone: Call 888-252-6174.
- By Mail: Make checks payable to Advance GCFA. Write the name of the ministry and The Advance project number on the check. Send to Advance GCFA, P.O. Box 9068, New York, NY 10087-9068.
- Planned Gifts: Planned and estate gifts can be coordinated with the planned giving officer. Call 888-252-6174.
How can I participate in The Advance?
Visit General Board of Global Ministries website to browse projects and donate online.
How can I obtain The Advance promotional resources?
Order free print materials online here or call toll free, 888-346-3862.