UMC ecumenical partner meet to talk peace for Korean Peninsula
The World Methodist Council is a worldwide association of Methodist, Wesleyan, and related Uniting and United Churches. It engages, empowers, and serves the member Churches by encouraging Methodist unity in witness, facilitating mission in the world, and fostering ecumenical and interreligious activities. It promotes obedience to the Great Commandment of Jesus Christ to love God and neighbor and to fulfill the Great Commission to make disciples through vibrant evangelism, a prophetic voice, cooperative programs, faithful worship, and mutual learning.
The World Council of Churches is an ecumenical partner supported by the Interdenominational Cooperation Fund apportionment which enables United Methodists to share a presence and a voice in the activities of several national and worldwide ecumenical organizations.
The Council operates in a five years circle. The first meeting in this circle took place after the 2016 World Methodist Conference in Houston, Texas, September 4-5, 2016. The meeting in Seoul was the second meeting in the 2016 to 2021 quinquennium, and was held July 12-15, 2018 in Korea.
|Seoul skyline at sunset.|
Currently 80 Methodist, Wesleyan and United or Uniting Churches serving in 138 countries and representing over 80 million Methodists affiliates and members are part of the Council family.
Then following are topics discussed in the meeting:
- Continue efforts to support of the Peace Process for the Korean Peninsula.
- Received report of the International Dialogue of the Baptist World Alliance (BWA) and the World Methodist Council “Faith Working Through Love”
- Review of Ecumenical partnerships and next steps
- Reaffirmation of the Thursday in Black Campaign
- Continue consultation Process on Mission in New Areas and Diaspora Churches
- Discussed Resolution “Religious Law in Bulgaria”
- Youth and Young Adults Network approved
- Water and Peace Seminar in Jordan, Palestine and Israel October 8-13, 2018
- Theme approved for the upcoming 22th World Methodist Conference to be held in Gothenburg, Sweden August 18-21, 2021
- Moving towards Consensus Model
- Migration, Racism, Poverty and Inequality
To God be the glory for this step in our journey as World Methodist Council.
World Council of Churches website
One of seven apportioned giving opportunities of The United Methodist Church, the Interdenominational Cooperation Fund enables United Methodists to share a presence and a voice in the activities of several national and worldwide ecumenical organizations. Please encourage your leaders and congregations to support the Interdenominational Cooperation Fund apportionment at 100 percent.
For a complete summary of the actions and decisions at the 2018 Seoul meeting provided by Bishop Rosemarie Wenner of Germany, WMC Geneva Secretary, visit here.